RESOURCE:

Forty-Saw Cotton Gin

Grade Range: K-12
Resource Type(s): Primary Source, Artifacts
Date Posted: 1/29/2009

This 40-saw cotton gin and the wooden gearing came from a farm formerly owned by the Augustus C. Smith family in Monroe County, G. The gin shed was built around 1840 and operated until approximately 1900. The gin stand was probably built in the decade following the Civil War; it bears no manufacturer's name or other identification.


National Standards

Historical Thinking Standards (Grades K-4)

Historical Thinking Standards (Grades 5-12)

United States History Standards (Grades 5-12)

Related Artifact

related artifact Hart Parr #3 Tractor

After graduating from the University of Wisconsin, Charles W. Hart and Charles H. Parr developed ...

Related book

Follow the Drinking Gourd

The story of a group of slaves' escape on the underground railroad by following directions from t...

Read More